Wednesday 18 February 2009

Catch up: books, theatre, film and TV

Isn't it interesting that an awful lot of new children's books are reemphasising illustration (often by the author themselves)? I loved Quentin Blake's illustrations for Roald Dahl's stories - well, Quentin Blake's illustrations for anything, really. I know that there is a long-established tradition of illustrating children's stories in particular, but in recent years these pictures seem to have become an awful lot darker - perhaps to reflect the stories themselves (cf. Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, illustrated in the UK edition by Chris Riddell). Of course, children's stories are not all fairies and candy floss; think of the Tales of the Brothers Grimm, and Dickens' Christmas Stories. There does seem to have been, however, a hiatus between the late nineteenth century and the late twentieth century as far as 'plastic' children's stories goes (with the odd - often bizarre - exception, e.g. Russell Hoban's stories for children). I like the return to stories in which the dark and dangerous illustrations reflect the dramatic tension of the story!

Went to see Graham Norton in La Cage aux Folles last week. Let's be honest - he's not known for his singing and I have to admit, I was a little nervous about how he would manage a 2 1/2 hour production as one of the lead roles. However, he pulled it off spectacularly. The production as a whole was wonderful, eerily erotic dancing from the men-women and superb acting from all of the lead roles. I'm familiar with some of the songs from this show, so it was a great joy to see them performed live. More than anything, though, I loved the audience. This was a matinee performance and, as you might expect, leaned fairly heavily to the pensioner side of things. (There is something odd about 200 pensioners coming to watch a play about a transvestite caberet in France...). However, they responded marvellously and I ended up sitting next to an elderly gentleman who had the most spectacular baritone laugh I have ever heard!

'Good God...', I think to myself, as Christopher Biggins comes out dressed as Danny Zuko with the oddest quiff and the biggest middle-aged spread imaginable (stretched tightly across a clinging black T-shirt). What follows is the most unnatural (and campest) version of 'You're the One that I Want' that I've ever seen. Nothing will top that, I think to myself. And then out comes Robert Webb with an utterly unique interpretation of 'Flashdance' complete with what looks like a rubber leotard and a rather disturbing hairy chest (as well as ridiculously feminine legs)! Both performances defy description, so watch them here.

So, Kate Winslet finally won her Oscar. I have to admit, I haven't seen The Reader yet, but I feel that she deserved one, if only for waiting so long! I didn't get the opportunity to watch the show, but it looks as though it was better than it has been for the last few years. I have to admit, I'm going to miss the build up now for another 12 months...

I'm currently reading Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. This is book my brother lent me and I haven't got round to picking it up until now. I'm only half-way through, so I can't really comment on the plot/characters yet, but what I can say is that it made me laugh out loud on the tube, much to the disgust of the man sitting next to me...

No comments: